Good meow-nday! Oops, sorry for the pun, but we all have to agree that a Monday with a cat sound must be a better one. Today we have a rather different post for The cat, you and us: a DIY. I think it is the first time for us (Mei made the sweetest one for our anniversary! thanks girl!), so please don’t be too harsh on us ;)
Do you remember how we told you two weeks ago that on the day of Sant Joan during lunch we improvized a DIY and then spent the afternoon creating it? The idea was to build a cat costume based on the Pikmin videogame characters. And maybe now you are wondering why we think about Pikmins & Juno while having lunch? The second one is easy-peasy, we talk a lot about Juno on our dates (hope this doesn’t sound lame, but that little furry one has totally stolen our hearts and minds). For the first one I should first explain how this last month I just learnt what the Pikmins were; I didn’t know about their existence until a few weeks ago when Dani came home with his Wii U game copy. Do you know about the Pikmins? They are cute little creatures that grow under a large and weird onion spaceship. I was telling Dani how I thought they were almost as cute as Juno (they wish! hahaha) when the idea came: Juno & a pikmin could get only cuter if they are combined together.
All the steps were improvized but we are quite happy with the result and we can also report that after two weeks everything is still on place, so it seems sturdy enough to share with all of you! Here we go!
- red & green felt pieces
- red crafts wire (in fact it does not matter the color, but just in case we used the same one)
- red & green sewing thread & needle
- nipper or anything that can cut easily your wire
- craft scissors, ruler & a pen
Here we go with the instructions:
- Measure your cat’s body length. For Juno we needed 35 cm.
- Mark on your red felt piece a 35cm length and about 4.5cm wide strip. The strip will be the one around your cat’s body.
- Cut your red strip with craft scissors.
- Sew a little velcro on both sides of your strip piece making it into a detachable band for your cat.
- Test the new band with your cat, it should not be too loose but in any case tight.
- Cut 40cm from your wire, this will be the stem and leaf skeleton of your pikmin head.
- Attach your wire to the band, as it looks in the pic.
- Cut a strip of 48cm length and 8mm wide and wind it along the wire, don’t cover it completely because you will need to attach the leaf at the end. Also make sure to cut some extra felt to cover completely all the wire on the base of the steam. We like to be extra careful with everything with Juno.
- Keep the spiral you have just winded around the stem in place adding a little bit of wire around.
- Draw a leaf’s silhouette on your green felt piece. Ours is 12.5cm length and 5cm wide (at its fullest part). You can also print one & trace it, if you don’t feel like drawing.
- Cut that leaf with your craft scissors.
- Now use this leaf to trace your second one, so it’s an exact replica, and cut it.
- Put your two leaves one on top of the other with the left wired part of your stem in the middle. Sew them together. Make sure to attach also the lowest part to your winded red felt.
Voilà! Your cat would be the cutest one in the block. Look at Juno’s happy face :) Hope you have enjoyed our silly tutorial. Do you have any advice to a DIY newbies like us? We’ll love to hear!*Pikmin is a Nintendo trademark, with the cutest little characters!