Good meow-nday! Oops, sorry for the pun, but we all have to agree that a Monday with a cat sound must be a better one. Today we have a rather different post for The cat, you and us: a DIY. I think it is the first time for us (Mei made the sweetest one for our anniversary! thanks girl!), so please don’t be too harsh on us ;)
Do you remember how we told you two weeks ago that on the day of Sant Joan during lunch we improvized a DIY and then spent the afternoon creating it? The idea was to build a cat costume based on the Pikmin videogame characters. And maybe now you are wondering why we think about Pikmins & Juno while having lunch? The second one is easy-peasy, we talk a lot about Juno on our dates (hope this doesn’t sound lame, but that little furry one has totally stolen our hearts and minds). For the first one I should first explain how this last month I just learnt what the Pikmins were; I didn’t know about their existence until a few weeks ago when Dani came home with his Wii U game copy. Do you know about the Pikmins? They are cute little creatures that grow under a large and weird onion spaceship. I was telling Dani how I thought they were almost as cute as Juno (they wish! hahaha) when the idea came: Juno & a pikmin could get only cuter if they are combined together.
All the steps were improvized but we are quite happy with the result and we can also report that after two weeks everything is still on place, so it seems sturdy enough to share with all of you! Here we go!
- red & green felt pieces
- red crafts wire (in fact it does not matter the color, but just in case we used the same one)
- red & green sewing thread & needle
- nipper or anything that can cut easily your wire
- craft scissors, ruler & a pen
Here we go with the instructions:
- Measure your cat’s body length. For Juno we needed 35 cm.
- Mark on your red felt piece a 35cm length and about 4.5cm wide strip. The strip will be the one around your cat’s body.
- Cut your red strip with craft scissors.
- Sew a little velcro on both sides of your strip piece making it into a detachable band for your cat.
- Test the new band with your cat, it should not be too loose but in any case tight.
- Cut 40cm from your wire, this will be the stem and leaf skeleton of your pikmin head.
- Attach your wire to the band, as it looks in the pic.
- Cut a strip of 48cm length and 8mm wide and wind it along the wire, don’t cover it completely because you will need to attach the leaf at the end. Also make sure to cut some extra felt to cover completely all the wire on the base of the steam. We like to be extra careful with everything with Juno.
- Keep the spiral you have just winded around the stem in place adding a little bit of wire around.
- Draw a leaf’s silhouette on your green felt piece. Ours is 12.5cm length and 5cm wide (at its fullest part). You can also print one & trace it, if you don’t feel like drawing.
- Cut that leaf with your craft scissors.
- Now use this leaf to trace your second one, so it’s an exact replica, and cut it.
- Put your two leaves one on top of the other with the left wired part of your stem in the middle. Sew them together. Make sure to attach also the lowest part to your winded red felt.
Voilà! Your cat would be the cutest one in the block. Look at Juno’s happy face :) Hope you have enjoyed our silly tutorial. Do you have any advice to a DIY newbies like us? We’ll love to hear!*Pikmin is a Nintendo trademark, with the cutest little characters!
This is so adorable! Juno’s face is just priceless!
Juno enjoys when she sees me making projects, in this case lots of interesting elements for her in this DIY, the thread and the wire kept her intrigued all the time :)
i love this diy! i love the picture of juno inspecting it lol so so cute! i remember when yangkyu came home with the pikmin game when we still had the nintendo game cube! :)
We also had the game cube! In fact the first time we started playing was with my roomate’s but we got so incredibly hooked with the Mario sunshine that Dani had to buy it ;) I never knew about the Pikmins (don’t know why!) though, did you enjoyed the game back then?
Mother of god… cada vegada feu més por! xD
Quanta estona li aguanta posat?
jajajajjaa, no s’ens pot deixar sols, eh! :) Doncs la primera vegada amb la novetat de que el velcro estava a la panxa li va costar bastant pillar-ho, però ja després va entendre que era similar a la capa (la recordeu?) i que ja tenia la tècnica apresa :)
OMG you go girl! You have totally mastered the art of putting
up a DIY post :D I haven’t heard/seen a Pikmin before, but
this alien creature sure looks cute and funny c: Juno is so
cuuuuuuteeeee <3 Xx
:) :) :) Thanks!!!!! You’re so sweet :) There are lots of funny Pikmins, I forgot to mention but it is one of the good things of the DIY you can create your favorite Pikmin easily with the same steps. The daisy one is also a favorite of mine :)
eeep! In a million years I never would of guessed this was the DIY so so perfect and cute!!! Makes me feel like I’m watching a Damaris craft show – actually now I want to watch more episodes :) Your felt looks lovely and thick – they seem to only sell thin stuff in craft shops here. I’d love to make this for Gremlin – will make sure I visit a craft store in the near future :)
Thanks for your sweetness Fiona!!! :) I’ll make sure to come with a second episode of the craft show, hahaha :) I found two types of felt pieces in the supplies store and I finally chose the thicker one because I thought it would look more polished & soft looking. I definitely would go again with this type of felt. Gremlin would be the cutest Pikmin, as he is already the cutest cat, that would be easy for him ;)
Best DIY I have ever seen! I’m pretty sure Pixel and Cera would not approve of this, but it’s such an excellent idea to make something for the cats!
Hahaha, I am also not sure if Juno totally approves ;) but Pixel and Cera would look very cute, that’s for sure! and you could make two different pikmin colors :)
So cute! I love this. Video games and cats! A match made in heaven.
Hahaha, they are! and this is not a biased opinion…not at all ;)
Haha! You guys are crazy! I love this costume; even you should one for humans :))
I wish we lived in the same country, thus we would come together for workshops!!
We should then make some sort of summer camp workshop one day! :) thanks sweetie!
i feel i will never be able to do this to Matilde and Simão ahaha
This is Dani, Juno & Damaris.
Our heads are full with photography,
our hearts stay in Japan.
2 weeks in Japan. Highlights, food recommendations, shopping & the most perfect getaways!
Visit Porto in 48h! Probably one of the most beautiful cities in the world
Visit Lisbon in 48h! A complete guide with the most beautiful places to visit, eat and shop
Our tiny foodie guide for a full-belly long weekend!
Visit the most charming area in England using public transportation
Eat your way through New York City, & more! Check our favorite spots from one of our favorite places in the world
Spend 3 days admiring the colorful houses of these 5 lovely Italian coastal towns.
Top posts this month
GET OUR POSTS IN YOUR MAIL
Back to top